迷你對話
A: I want to leave home, mum.
媽媽,我想離家了。
B: Why?
為什么?
A: I am a grown-up, and I can stand on my own feet.
我長大了,能夠自食其力了。
B: It is all up to you.
一切由你自己決定吧。
對話精講
第一、地道短語
stand on one’s own feet
1. 解詞釋義
這是美國常用的習語,此語字面意思是“雙腳站立”。倘若一個人能雙腳站立很穩(wěn)的話,他就能獨立自主,憑自己的能力做事,不依靠別人。因此,此語的意思是“獨立自主”,“有主見”等。
2. 支持范例
e.g. I hope he learns to stand on his own feet someday.
我希望有一天他會學著靠自己。
e.g. Whatever a man's status may be, he must have an aim. If not, he can hardly stand on his own feet in the world. That stands to reason.
不論一個人是什么身份,他必須有一個志向。如果沒有的話,他很難立足于世上。
e.g. If he doesn't stand on his own feet at his age, he'll lose his self-respect.
如果到他這樣的年齡還不自立,他會失去自尊的。
e.g. Websters want someone who can stand on his own feet.
韋伯斯特公司需要有獨立見解的人。
第二、同義短語
stand on one’s own legs
e.g. I tried to stand on my own two legs rather than turn to my parents.
我設法自立而不求助于我的父母。
e.g. I don't want allowances made for me. I want to stand on my own legs for what I'm worth.
我不需要誰來原諒我,我應該憑本事自力更生。
e.g. When I was eleven my mother died. After that I had to stand on my own legs and earn my own living.
我11歲時,母親去世了,那以后我就自立靠自己謀生。
第三、詞海拾貝
be up to
釋義1:勝任
I don't feel up to any more work today.
我覺得我今天不能再干更多的工作了。
Michael' s not really up to that job.
邁克爾確實不勝任那項工作。
釋義2:達到
Your behavior does not come up to the expected standard.
你的舉止達不到要求。
Your work does not come up to the requirements.
你的工作不符合要求。
釋義3:由......決定
It was up to the local authorities.
它是由地方當局決定的事情。
更多信息請查看生活口語