A:May, we are fools to hang out at noon. It's dying hot today. My skin is too weak to be exposed under the summer sun.
阿美,我們選擇中午出來逛街,真是不明智,今天太熱了。我的皮膚很敏感,不能暴露在夏天烈日下
B:Do you have any sunscreen lotion?
你有防曬霜嗎?
A:You know, honey, I used it all on the way over.
親愛的,你該知道,我一路上都在用啊。
B:I think I'm getting a heart stroke.
我的心臟都快受不了了。
A:The heat is driving crazy and I hate my new hat.
酷熱要把我逼瘋了,而且我討厭我的新帽子。
B:Why? It's brand new, and it's perfect on you.
為什么?它是全新的,而且你戴著很漂亮。
A:But I bought it to get rid of the heat. Now it does nothing but burning my head.
但是我買它是為了防曬的,現(xiàn)在除了讓我的頭感覺像火燒之外,它什么也沒做。
B:Beauty costs, honey.
親愛的,美麗是要付出代價的。
A:Laugh all you want, whatever. We need to get out of the heat.
只管笑吧!不過我們真的要避避暑。
B:Walking under the sun is certainly not the way.
在太陽下走肯定不是個辦法。
A:Give me a break. It's not funny.
饒了我吧。一點都不好玩。
B:Right. Sorry. Anyway, the radio said that it'll rain later today.
好的。對不起啦。不管怎么說,廣播說今天晚一點會下雨的。
A:Hope so! Good thing is that autumn is just around the corner.
希望如此!還好秋天就快要來了。
注釋:
hang out 閑蕩(俚語)
skin n. 皮膚
weak adj. 虛弱的
expose vt. 使暴露
sunscreen lotion 防曬霜
crazy adj. 瘋狂的
any way adv. 不管怎樣
corner n. 角落
1.It's dying hot day.
這里的dying并不是“死”的意思,而是作為副詞來修飾后面的形容hot,表示程度很大,中文也有相似的表達:“我餓死了。”(當然誰也不會死。)
2.Beauty costs.
這里是阿美開古奇的玩笑時的幽默表達,因為前文中提到古奇新買的帽子,看著漂亮,其實卻特別熱。中文中我們也常說的相似表達有:“要風度不要溫度”。